Fall 2017 ME 496:
Design of Renewable Energy Systems
Announcements/Changes to web page:
- 25 Sept. 2017: Registration Information. If the class fills-up (>
40 students), I will select students as follows.
- Attended the 1st class, signed the registration sheet, and
wrote down Registration Number from the Attendance Sheet
which you need for the next step.
- By 17:00, 04 Oct., completed the registration survey at
ME 496 Registration Survey.
Students without a valid Registration Number will not be
considered. As per above, you will receive your Registration
Number in the 1st day of class, so make sure you write this down
in the 1st class (and therefore you can't complete this survey
until after the 1st day of class).
- I will select students based on information in the
- 225 Sept.: Tentative Syllabus. The details may change slightly but
the main themes will not.
- 25 Sept.: Schedule for first 2-weeks.
- 03 Oct.: Attend 1st class to sign registration sheet. I
will not be in this class and there will only be a ~ 10 min
lecture by another faculty member.
- 05 Oct.: Normal lecture on modeling electrical demand.
- 06 Oct., 17:40-18:30. Ek Ders. Discuss Syllabus and course
- 10 Oct.: Class cancelled. I am in Brussels
- 12 Oct.: Normal Lecture on modeling wind turbines
- 13 Oct: 17:40-18:30. Ek Ders. Modeling using Excel
- 25 Sept. Due Dates
- 17 Oct. Project 1 Part 1 (P1.1)
- 17 Oct. NDA
- 24 Oct. P1.2
- 31 Oct. P2.1
- 07 Nov. P2.2
- 14 Nov. P3.1
- 21 Nov. P3.2
- Professionalism: Each semester I am becoming more
aggressive and systematic at tracking unprofessional behavior and reducing final
course averages due to unprofessional behaviour.
Last week a recruiter for TAI called me to ask for a reference for
a former student. She began "We would like you to provide a
reference for your former student ABC, in particular focusing on
whether he has had any ethical problems." Fortunately I make notes
in my grade book about all ethical and professional problems, and
although I could not remember this student specifically, I had the
notes to answer this question.
Last semester I reduced the final course average for
- One 496 student by ~ 5 pts (1/2 a letter grade) for
missing too many in-class presentations.
- Many other 496 students by ~1-3 pts for various types of
unprofessional behaviour, such as turning in assignment late.
- One 514 student by ~ 5 pts who emailed me multiple times
stating that he missed class due to work and wanted to know
what he missed (see my Attendance Policies if you do not know
why I consider this unprofessional)
- In previous years I have reduced students final course average
by 10+ points for unprofessional behaviour on top of giving a 0
for the assignment.
- This semester I will be focusing on students signing for other
students on attendance.